Kaizer Chiefs will host Orlando Pirates in the first round Premier Soccer League (PSL) match of the 2017/18 season at the FNB Stadium on Saturday. The game will kick off at 15:30.
SOWETO DERBY QUICK FACTS
* Percy ‘Chippa’ Moloi [father of Teboho Moloi] scored the very first goal in a Chiefs vs Pirates derby game in 1970.
* The last player to score a hat trick in the Chiefs vs Pirates derby was Jerry Sikhosana, who got three in Pirates’ 4-1 win in November 1996.
* The fastest goal in the history of the derby match came after just 19 seconds from Mabhudi Khenyeza in Durban in November 2007.
* Alfred ‘Russia’ Jacobs and Fani Madida hold the distinction of having scored in four successive derbies. Jacobs’ quartet came in 1970 and 71, and Madida in 1991 and 1992. Chiefs goalkeeper Joseph ‘Banks’ Setlhodi netted penalties in three successive derbies in 1972, Ntsoelengoe scored in three games in a row in 1975, and was matched by Jerry Sikhosana (96-97) and Dennis Lota (99-00)
* The last coach to have sat on the bench of one of the derby teams having previously in his career, coached the other side was Muhsin Ertugral, who coached Chiefs (1999-2003 & 2007-2009) and later, briefly, Pirates (2016). Others to do likewise recently include Kosta Papic and Vladimir Vermezovic.
* Chiefs’ keeper Setlhodi slotted home four penalties in derbies in both 1971 and 1972, the only goalkeeper to score in the derby.