The joint meeting of the Technical and International Affairs Committees of the South African Football Association met today as mandated by the NEC Lekgotla of the Association.
The NEC Lekgotla took place in Cape Town on 02-04 February 2014.
The joint sitting considered a report of the Head Coach of the Men’s Senior National Team for the 2014 CHAN Tournament and after extensive deliberations, took the following decisions:
1. The meeting has taken note that the Head Coach has failed to deliver on his mandates for the 2014 FIFA World Cup, the AFCON 2013 Tournament as well as the CHAN 2014 Tournament;
2. Notwithstanding, the meeting decided that the Association does not want to act in an impromptu manner but rather, must plan systematically for immediate and future programs of the Men’s Senior National Team and all of the other national teams, men and women. In this regard, the meeting decided that the Head Coach must continue with his work and in particular, get the Men’s Senior National Team ready for the match between Bafana Bafana and Brazil scheduled for 05 March 2014;
3. The meeting also decided that there must be a clear plan for the next World Cup cycle of 2014 to 2018 and therefore, that any decision on any of our national team coaches for all levels must take this cycle into account. In this regard, further discussions will take place in the relevant structures of the Association to ensure that we have certainty around the national team for the next FIFA World Cup cycle;
4. The Association will take a decision on the appointment of a Technical Director in March 2014 as this position is critical for ensuring the implementation of the development continuum in line with Vision 2022 of SAFA;
5. The meeting emphasised the need for the Technical Director and the Head Coach to ensure full and systematic integration of the objectives and programmes of all national teams;
6. SAFA must strengthen its administrative and technical capacity to ensure that it is geared to deliver on its mandate and objectives, particularly Vision 2022;
7. The current programs must be evaluated by the Technical Committee and share them with the International Affairs Committee for consideration and approval by the NEC.
8. Lastly, the meeting notes the serious allegations that have been made against the Head Coach – that he allegedly instigated some or all players of the Men’s Senior National Team during the CHAN 2014 Tournament to demand bonuses. In this regard, the meeting decided to appoint a 6 – Member Committee comprising Mr Norman Arendse (c), Mr Xolile Nkompela, Mr Andile Ndengezi, Mr Mohammed Mubarak, Mr Lucas Radebe and Mr Abel Rakoma to investigate the allegations and report to the National Executive Committee within 30 days from today.